Thursday 11 October 2012

My Inquiry Plan

Planning of Inquiry
 
I have been struggling with all my ideas for my line of inquiry this week and after talking with Alan Durrant via email, I think I have a rough idea now of what I am heading for.
 
I had so many ideas but was finding it really difficult to articulate them and put them into sentences. I am going to write some of my ideas here and why Alan thought they wouldn't be successful.
 
Aim
An Inquiry to discover in what way method acting effects a child's development.

Objectives

Would go something along the lines of..
  • Questionnaire for students
  • Questionnaire for teacher
  • Observing an drama class (government curriculam) at a school
  • Observing an acting class at an outside of school Theatre group

etc etc..

Aim

An Inquiry to determine in what way different acting methods effects a child's development.

This would have similar sort of objectives.

Aim

An Inquiry to explore why teachers chose to teach method acting and how it would effect a child's development.

After discussing these ideas with Alan, I realised that these ideas were too specific and I could not get a definite conclusion as so many other outside factors would come into the conclusion. For example with method acting, it may not only be method acting that had effected a student but other factors like learning difficulties, problems at home etc. Therefore, we could not determine an answer.

My other idea was to investigate into why teachers use certain teaching approaches and why they do this? How do they benefit the students? I was really struggling to articulate this idea and told Alan this.

We eventually came up with:

Aim

An inquiry to explore why a teacher would use certain approaches in drama and why this is believed to benefit the teacher and students

The 'believed' in the sentence makes sure the conclusion will be supportive of both pros and cons. It should give me lots to write about to as it is not as specific as looking at different acting methods but teaching different acting methods, how we teach them and what effect they make on the actors using them.

I think I am going to use my final idea. However, I am still keeping my options open and if I think of anymore then I will blog them. Please do let me know how you are all getting on and how far you have got with your inquiry plans. I would love to discuss and also if you have any constructive crtiscism, that would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you.







1 comment:

  1. Excellent Rebecca. I can see how the very open, loaded and basically unanswerable questions you started with are now honed down to something you (as a practitioner-enquirer) can do .... To find out what teachers actually do (or think or claim they do), to compare and contrast these, to inform your own practice. This is perfectly achievable, and I am sure you will find out new and interesting things, as well as perhaps confirm so of your own conceptions and challenge others. This proposal is eminently achievable and worthwhile. Well done.
    Going forward I'd capitalise on the links with other commentators, and get the specific questions honed and focused through a SIG. There are lots of people out there interested in this, make sure you use the network o its fullest potential.
    I’m going to be blogging shortly on how to move questions on, I will be using you as an example of how this can be done.

    http://adurrant.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete