Tuesday 9 October 2012

Task 4d

Task 4d
 
 
I realise I have missed out a Task but I just wanted to blog my early ideas for my award titles. I have been thinking as I already have a National Diploma in Professional Musical Theatre from the Urdang Academy, I don't feel its necessary for me to have a degree in Musical Theatre or any performance related award. With my performance side of work, casting directors aren't going to be particularly interested in a degree. They may focus on where I have trained, how long I trained for and my experience. I continued to think what am I aiming to use this degree for.. Teaching & Education. I know the course is not an education course but I am focusing my attention on the educational aspect of my work. Therefore, if I want to progress on and do a QTS or PGCE, I feel it is right for me to relate my award title to this.
 
 
My first ideas are something like this; BA (Hons) in Professional Practice in Education of Performing Arts, BA (Hons) in Professional Practice in Education of Drama and Dance, BA (Hons) in Professional Practice in Education of Theatre Arts.
 
 
What do we think?

5 comments:

  1. Hello again Rebecca,

    I'm playing with my title at the moment. Do you think it's important to point out the education in the title? I started this way but thought, maybe the emphasis might be on the knowledge itself such as performing arts, rather than the teaching of it. Does education mean that your title will only serve an academic world? I was worried that in 10 years I might want to do something else... Do you see what I mean?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ahmet,

    Please do email me on rebeccaelizabeth.clarke@gmail.com as I really find your points interesting. Your questions are really helping me! Thank you. I think for me it is important to have education or teaching in the title, as I know what I want to do is act and be a drama teacher. I want to teach drama at a school at GCSE and Sixth Form level. However, If you are unsure about what you want to use your degree for then I think maybe keeping it more general. I think education of any subject would never limit you getting a job somewhere else as long as the job needed the skills of your chosen subject, does that make sense?

    I think it would be the same for anyone with a degree trying to find a different job?

    What do you think?

    How are you getting on with your Inquiry plan?

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about choices I think. As long as you are backing it up in your rationale which you are... Sounds Good. Drama and Dance sounds like two strong disciplines but theatre arts might be broader.

    My inquiry has just got really interesting. I'm thinking of looking at the transition of actor to teacher. Both in concept of practice and the actual journey from practitioner to QTS. It would inform the journey I'm on myself right now and any future practitioners on the BAPP course.

    How is yours going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes this sounds like a really good line of inquiry. I think I would really benefit from reading your inquiry and I'm sure I speak for many others out there.

    The transistion from actor to teacher was actually ok for me as I have been teaching since I was 17 as I did it a long side my college course at urdang for a bit of extra money. It wasn't much of a shock when I really got stuck into teaching. However teaching at a school was a complete shocker, I am still working with girls who want to do drama but I am working with girls who are a lot more varied in abilities. Some also have learning difficulties so that is new for me. How have you found it?

    I've been emailing Alan about my inquiry ideas. I am going to blog them but I want to look into how teachers teach and why.. How it benefits students and teacher. Lots of reading to do!!


    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I now teach a wide range of students. I teach at a professional drama school and at after school clubs. I also volunteer at a secondary school. Becoming a qualified drama teacher has changed a lot now. It seems there are loops you must jump through. I want to us the inquiry process to guide and improve my career transition... Exciting stuff.

    As you say, lots of reading to do...

    ReplyDelete