Thursday 1 November 2012

Task 5a

Task 5a
 

ethicsplural of eth·ics (Noun)

Noun:
  1. Moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior.
  2. The moral correctness of specified conduct.
Synonyms:
morality - morals - ethic - moral
 

principlesplural of prin·ci·ple (Noun)

Noun:
  1. A fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
  2. A rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.
 
 
A Teacher must, fundamentally, abide by the Law. When dealing with children, it is with upmost importance that Teachers put their own and the Student's safety above all other factors. There are different types of Ethics, ie; concerning Students, Practice, other Colleagues and Parents. All ethics of an Educator must conside with the Law. Here are some of my initial considerations of ethics which may apply within my place of work (Schools).
 
 
1. The Teacher must treat each student justly, with no biased opinions. They should help, to the best of their ability, to resolve the Student's problems and use methods of discipline appropriately.
 
2. The Teacher must not use any means of communication which may belittle the Student and decrease their self esteem.
 
3. The Teacher must not expose any confidential information involving the Student or Colleague (unless made necessary by the Law- when working at School, I am told that all information that Student's disclose to me is confidential and does not need to be repeated to another member of staff, unless the Student is at any sort of harm or risk).
 
4. The Teacher must protect the Student (Health & Safety), to the best of their ability.
 
5. The Teacher must teach material without involving personal opinions and biased views.
 
6. The Teacher should reveal all information that is in the Student's best interest to their Parents.
 
7. The Teacher must use a positive approach to all School related events.
 
8. The Teacher must respect all different cultures/religions (etc) that they are faced with.
 
9. The Teacher must make the Student feel comfortable around them so they do not feel inhibited and can perform to their best ability.
 
 
This is a basic code of conduct that I adhere to in my work place. However, there are some more principles that I would like to add.
 
'Lies'
 
10. A Teacher must not tell lies.
  • We must not make false accusations towards Students or other members of staff. This should also be reciprocated for Students. However, an arguement to this statement is that if a Student asks me a personal question, for example; "What do you do when you get home from School?", I do not feel that I go to the gym and then see my boyfriend, is a very professional answer. Is it then wrong to say "I do some homework and some marking"? As Teachers we may not feel it necessary to answer pupils personal questions, however, it is important to build a professional relationship with each Student. We need to make pupils feel comfortable around us so we can bring out the best in them. Therefore, I feel with questions like this some sort of answer is required as long as it is setting a good example.
 
 
Personal Issues
 
11. A Teacher must leave personal issues outside the door and not bring them into a School enviroment.
  • I understand this code of conduct is probably necessary for other subjects like Science & Maths etc. However, I feel that with the Arts, especially Drama, that this is a different kettle of fish. An old College Teacher of mine once told my class that he had tried to jump out a window. This is a very personal statement but he brought it up anyway. The manner in which he said this was very matter of fact and he seemed unaffected by the event. The point of study in the class was a scene where a close person to character had commited suicide. My Teacher said that 'it is hard to act something, if you haven't been in a similar situation yourself'. Method Acting is something I am very interested in and I do feel that I feel more comfortable with a character's situation that is similar to my experiences. I understand this may not be true for other Actors.
Is it right to bring such personal stories and issues into a classroom of Students? Does this method of teaching benefit Students?
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment